- I was fairly surprised I didn't hear more about the recent unpleasantness up north from you people back home. In case you haven't heard, a U.S. military plane was fired upon in northeast Mali last Tuesday. You can read the full story here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/13/AR2007091300500.html Needless to say, Peace Corps (and the rest of Mali, frankly) is not really affected by Tuareg rebel activity. PCVs do not serve in the two northernmost regions of Mali for safety reasons. To quote Han Solo, "Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine... here... now, thank you. How are you?"
- Homestay and training (known in PC lingo as PST or stage) has now come to a close. We spent the last few days packing our lives into rolling duffel bags and trunks to be delivered throughout the country to our respective sites. Hard to believe that we will soon be spending two years in the same place after living out of a suitcase for two months. We are all extremely excited and extremely ready to actually get out on our own and start working on what we came here to do (which is surprisingly different for each person).
- We swear in as bona fide Peace Corps Volunteers on Friday the 21st. Dressed in our Malian finest, almost 80 of us will shed that pesky "T" in our titles for the much more elegant, prestigious, and gratifying "V". After swearing in at the U.S. Embassy, we get to have a little party at the Ambassador's residence followed by a day of fun at Tubaniso and a night of... even more celebration in Bamako. However, I have determined that the best part about swearing in is the oath itself which requires a pledge to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies (foreign or domestic). As I am quite a fan of the Constitution, I'm pretty excited about that part. I think I might even pull a Sen. Robert C. Byrd and take my little pocket Constitution with me to the ceremony. Yes, I brought a pocket Constitution with me to Mali.
- I feel obligated to inform you, dear reader, that on Sunday the 23rd I will be leaving for my site in Segou region. I have been told that my village is four hours by bus from the nearest available Internet service. This is just a warning to prepare everyone for the lack of blog posts, emails, and Facebook updates that will certainly result from my geographical predicament. I will say to you what we say to each other (in French of course): courage.
I hope to post a few more times before leaving on Sunday to include some pictures from swear-in and give one little last goodbye. In the meantime, I've posted an album on Facebook of some random recent goings-on: http://georgetown.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082828&l=53589&id=1404038 Enjoy.
* That was for you, Berkeley. Wherever you may be. It's Sleepytime time.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire